People are often split on the issue of whether your partner should also be your best friend. Some feel that someone other than your partner is best as a best friend because the relationship you have with a partner is different from a best friend and all your eggs should not be in a single basket. These same people may want a lifetime partner and lover that they love, but they may not like them which creates a disjointed relationship that may need some further help.
There are no real hard and fast rules when it comes to relationships, you must find what works for you. However, those couples who marry their best friend often last the longest. Friendship is arguably the best way to find lasting love. Below are some reasons why that is true.
- You are More Yourself – Since you are already close friends, there is no reason to feel self-conscious or act out in the relationship. Being able to be your true self is of vast importance in any relationship.
- You Know Each Other Good and Bad – As friends, you know one another’s dark side, weaknesses, and insecurities to the point these are endearing.
- Know Relationship Histories – This means no or fewer surprises about the past.
- Less Damage during Disagreements – All couples disagree at some point, but when you are with your best friend the big fights tend to lose steam quickly.
- Smoother Adjustments – You already know one another well so you also know what to expect. This means you can deal with new stuff that comes up.
- True Form – Best friends see well beyond what we are like in public. They see through our guarded selves and accept us as we actually are so we cannot get away with much of anything.
- Inside Jokes – As best friends, the random, fun stuff is what others envy and admire. Enjoy the inside jokes that only you understand.
- Sharing Clothes – Whether a favorite pair of sweatpants or an oversized hoodie, best friends can share clothing as a normal thing, even if they happen to be your lover.
- Sharing Thoughts – You have known each other so long and so well that even if you do not talk for a few hours or even a day, you still know what the other is thinking.
- Common TV Choices – Friends share interests and you will likely have shows and movies you love to watch together. Watching one alone may result in WWIII, but otherwise things are great.
- Being Goofy – As best friends you have likely already done some pretty childish things together, like skipping or liking the brownie batter bowl, but you are so comfortable together, you can persist in this embarrassing show.
- Total Honesty – Best friends are honest about everything with each other and know they can trust each other totally.
- Trust Around Family – Both family and friends have seen you two grow together over time. They’ve seen is all and are at ease with your partner. Silly mistakes in front of family and friends ends up being endearing, not problematic.
- Deeper Connection – Your partner as a best friend means they know what you want and need even when you haven’t shared it completely. You are in sync due to your foundation together.
- Growing Old Together – Growing old with your best friend is the perfect scenario. With your partner is your best friend, you do not have to worry about being in a lifelong relationship you hate. Your love is based on genuine friendship and not everyone gets to experience that.